Individuals can now tune in to watch teams compete for over $10K in cash prizes and wraparound business services. The 2023 Cayman Islands Business Design Competition “Pitch Day” will be livestreamed to viewers across the globe.
Produced by Enterprise Cayman and sponsored by Cayman Enterprise City (CEC), the annual Business Design Competition invites Cayman’s entrepreneurs to showcase their new and innovative business ideas. Throughout the month-long competition finalists take part in a series of workshops, project advisor meetings, and networking events. The competition concludes with a “Pitch Day” where competitors present their projects to a panel of judges – think “Cayman Islands Shark Tank”.
The initiative was launched in 2021 to help creative individuals and entrepreneurs to fast-track their business ideas and get projects off the ground faster with the assistance of professional support networks. “The Business Design Competition works to strengthen Cayman’s supportive innovative ecosystem,” said Charlie Kirkconnell, CEO of CEC and Director of Enterprise Cayman. “The competition fosters knowledge-sharing amongst professionals and is helping to drive business innovation.”
This is the first year that the “Pitch Day” will be livestreamed on the Enterprise Cayman YouTube channel thanks to support from Silver Palm Studios. “We wanted to make the Design Competition as accessible as possible so individuals from all over the world, including our Sister Islands, will be able to tune in and cheer on Cayman’s entrepreneurs,” said Alyssa Manderson, Enterprise Cayman Programme and Events Coordinator. “We’re also hoping that by making the competition accessible online individuals may be inspired to come up with their own creative business ideas and even compete the following year.”
- Project of the Year – For a business design that shines above and beyond competition expectations. The grand prize for the "Project of the Year" is USD $10,000 plus wraparound business services. Sponsored by Cayman Enterprise City.
- Innovation Award – For an innovative business design that is inspiring, new and/or unconventional. The winner will receive a USD $2,000 cash prize and wraparound business services. Sponsored by Avalanche.
- Community Impact Award – For a business design that makes a difference in our local and/or global communities. The winner will receive a USD $2,000 cash prize and wraparound business services. Sponsored by eShore.
- All finalists will receive a business support "Prize Pack" valued at over $1,500, which includes access to professional meeting spaces, legal advisory sessions, marketing support, reduced rate of incorporation, access to CEC networking events, a 90% HubSpot discount, as well as scholarships to attend Code/Cyber courses.
- Ambitionless No More! - Streetwear fashion design inspired by the Cayman Islands by Alec Harding, Javaldo Blake, Zachary Franklin, and Christian Murry
- Island Pet Co. - Locally made, sustainable fresh pet products by Steve Toms
- GraBit Cayman - A one-stop shot delivery app by Melisa Bent and Sherolene Belnavis
- Kareera - A portal providing career logistics by Sherilyn Miller
- Locks for Handbags and Backpacks - An easy opening system to make bags and backpacks safe by Nina Ketiss
- QuickQuip - Pre-written replies helping to streamline communications by Aaron Santamaria
- Substitute Teachers of Cayman (STOC) - A platform for substitute teachers and schools by Sharice McLean, Deidre Garcia-Daniel, Maggie Ebanks, and Kirkpatrick Clarke
- Syntelligence AI - Artificial Intelligence tools helping to streamline businesses by Kevin Ramirez
Design Weekend Instructors:
- Rodney Alison - Founder at Synergy Technology Engineering Limited SEZC & Instructor on Perfecting your Pitch Deck and Taking your Idea to the Next Level
- Marty Dunlop - Managing Director and Principal Consultant at Edge Case SEZC & Instructor on Prototyping
- Rich Dyer - Co-founder at Massive Media & Instructor on Market Research
- Ivan Eubanks - Interim Dean of Business and Finance at The University College of the Cayman Islands & Instructor on Video Interviewing
- Dylan Jackson - UX Designer & Instructor on User Design Experience
- Rudolph Johnson - Managing Director at Meta Agile SEZC & Instructor on Business Innovation
- Charlie Kirkconnell - CEO at CEC & Instructor on Taking your Idea to the Next Level
- Jonathan MacDonald - Serial Entrepreneur & Instructor on Evaluating Start-up Ideas
- Fiona McDougall - Owner and Director at Healthy Futures and Healthy Growth & Instructor on Public Speaking
- David Strucke - CEO and Founder at Datastreamer SEZC & Instructor on Perfecting your Pitch Deck and Taking your Idea to the Next Level
- Althea West-Myers - Director at The Cayman Islands Centre for Business Development (CICBD)
- Ian Zakovorotnyi - Business Operations at EightPoint Technologies Ltd. SEZC & Instructor on Design Thinking
- Jesica Coni - Business Owner & Veterinary Technologist at The Mobile Vet Company
- Shane “Dready” Aquart - Artist at Dreadyworld Ltd.
- Marty Dunlop - Managing Director & Principal Consultant at Edge Case SEZC
- Theodora Fienbery - Head of Business Development at Cayman Expertise Group Ltd.
- Ian Gilmour - Managing Director at Euler Digital SEZC & Advisory Board Chair at AI Forum
- Vlad Logvinov - Founder & Managing Director at Privork
- David Manoucherhri - Cyber Security & Data Analyst Professional
- Fiona McDougall - Owner & Director at Healthy Futures and Healthy Growth
- Yaz Narcin - Head of Operations & Marketing at Whisk SEZC
- Mike Silagadze - CEO at EtherFi SEZC
- Ramona Tudorancea - Founder & Managing Director, JB Advisory Services SEZC
- Hollie Whitelocke - Strategic Communications Manager at InvestCayman & Adjunct Professor of Marketing at The University College of the Cayman Islands
- Mário Yaksetig - Cryptographer at xx network SEZC
- Ian Zakovorotnyi - Business Operations at EightPoint Technologies Ltd. SEZC
The Business Design Competition “Pitch Day” takes place Saturday, 1 April 2023 from 10:00 AM until 12:00 PM. To register your interest and to receive a copy of the livestream link, please fill out your contact details here. For enquiries email email@example.com.