Code 101: Workshop
Saturday, 15 April 2023 • 10am - 6pm • The Innovation Room at Strathvale
Thinking about a new career in software development? Start here! In this workshop, you'll get a taste of a day in the life of a software developer.
Code 101 is about learning what it looks like to be a software developer through an immersive course for beginners that focuses on front-end web development technologies. Get a taste of the Code Fellows learning experience, find out how websites are built, and code a webpage yourself using professional coding practices.
- John Cokos, Director of Curriculum at Code Fellows (Lead Instructor)
- Paul Peat, Lead Software Engineer at Maples Group (Instructor)
- Kory Mclean, Software Engineer at Maples Group (Instructor)
- Kevin Ramirez, Aspiring Full-Stack Engineer (Teaching Assistant)
In this workshop, you will:
- Understand the basics of what it means to be a professional software developer.
- Understand how HTML and CSS work together to create the modern web.
- Create a complete website.
- Know how to deploy your website and be able to share your accomplishments with friends and family.
- Be able to identify whether a career in coding and the Code Fellows program is right for you.
- The Modern Web
How the pieces work together
Structuring your information
Connecting web pages
Sharing your website
Integrating style sheets
Modifying CSS styles
- The Tech Industry
A typical day for a software developer
Common job titles
The path to becoming a web or mobile developer.
You are required to supply your own laptop, Chromebook, or iPad with a keyboard.
Punctuality, participation in discussions, completion of assignments, and demonstration of professional courtesy to others are required, in accordance with our Code of Conduct. Attendance will be taken at the beginning of the workshop. Passing requires attendance at the full workshop.
Please note space is limited to 16 participants. Register your interest below.